We Have To Stop Shaming Men Who Like To Date Trans Women. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » TG Admirers
jacquelineg VIP
jacquelineg Nov 28 '18

The comments and conversations surrounding hip-hop DJ Mister Cee’s sex scandal-turned-resignation has been appalling, and has led me to this essay, which isn’t about him soliciting sex from someone he perceived as a trans woman. The Mister Cee "scandal" sheds light on society's ignorance, similarly exhibited when Chris Brown, Chingy and Chad"Ochocinco" Johnson took photos with trans women; similarly exhibited when folks gender-policed Joseline Hernandez to the point where she Tweeted a nude photo to prove her cis-ness; similarly exhibited when Eddie Murphy, LL Cool J and a list of other powerful men were accused of being"caught" seeking trans women.

This anti-trans woman ideology is harmful, misogynistic and pervasive and travels way beyond the comments section of gossip blogs, and as Sylvia Rivera once said, "I will no longer put up with this ."

I am a trans woman. My sisters are trans women. We are not secrets. We are not shameful. We are worthy of respect, desire, and love. As there are many kinds of women, there are many kinds of men, and many men desire many kinds of women, trans women are amongst these women. And let's be clear: Trans women are women. 

The shame that society attaches to these men, specifically attacking their sexuality and shaming their attraction, directly affects trans women. It affects the way we look at ourselves. It amplifies our body-image issues, our self-esteem, our sense of possibility, of daring for greatness, of aiming for something or somewhere greater. If a young trans woman believes that the only way she can share intimate space with a man is through secret hookups, bootycalls or transaction, she will be led to engage in risky sexual behaviors that make her more vulnerable to criminalization, disease and violence; she will be led to coddle a man who takes out his frustrations about his sexuality on her with his fists; she will be led to question whether she's worthy enough to protect herself with a condom when a man tells her he loves her; she will be led to believe that she is not worthy of being seen, that being seen heightens her risk of violence therefore she must hide who she is at all costs in order to survive.

Thomas Matt, a cis man wrote about the critism he's faced loving a transwoman in a piece titled "Stop Shaming Partners of Trans People" and what needs to be done to end the stigma. 

He writes: 

Partners of trans folk — especially heterosexual cisgender male partners of trans women — need to start coming out and stop treating their partners as a source of shame. We need to start having discussions about the problems within our community, such as the “chaser” culture in which men fetishize and objectify trans women. We have the power to tell society that it is OK to love trans women. Simply by coming out, we could greatly reduce the amount of violence against trans women. We should be on the front lines with the trans women who we are attracted to in their struggle for liberation.

This issue is different from a homosexual person fearing to come out. Two homosexual partners are on an equal playing field regarding their oppression for their sexuality and gender expression. However, in this case, one partner has a lot more privilege than the other. Cisgender male partners of trans women, while oppressed and stigmatized, maintain far more privilege than their trans partners. When we refuse to come out we are essentially saying that maintaining our privileged position by keeping our attraction a secret is more important to us than the happiness, dignity, and safety of our partners.

Why is this message coming from a cisgender man and not a trans woman? Well, the simple fact is that it has been coming from trans women for decades now, but trans women — especially trans women of color — do not have a platform from which to speak. They repeatedly have their voices drown out and covered up by the rest of society. The LGB movement has buried the voices of trans folk under mountains of corporatized parades and cries for marriage “equality” of which trans women are never included. This all happens simultaneously with the systematic erasure from history of the fact that trans women of color started many of these movements, including the Stonewall Rebellion which was led by Sylvia Rivera, Marsha P. Jones, and Miss Major.

Without a platform from which to spread their urgent message, trans women literally have to steal the platform to be heard. On June 24, in order to inform the country of the rampant abuse and torture of trans and queer immigrants in detention centers, Jennicet Gutiérrez was forced to interrupt President Obama’s Pride speech. Without possessing the luxury to protest in a polite manner, the trans community must take any and all opportunities to be heard.

As a cisgender man who is attracted to and dates trans women, I face an incredible amount of stigma and even outright oppression. But if my community is oppressed simply for associating with trans women, what does that say about how oppressed and marginalized their community is? I am speaking about this problem because I have the privilege of being heard, listened to and taken seriously. But I am also using this opportunity to tell everyone that we need to do a better job of listening to trans women and paying attention to the struggles their community is going through. The ongoing gendercide of trans people and the rampant theft of trans women’s right to love should keep us awake at night. This message should not have to come from a cisgender partner when trans people are saying it every day.

sheatran0043 VIP
sheatran0043 Dec 1 '21
Beautiful piece.. Thank you Jacquelineg for speaking up for us. 
Goldjacobxx
Goldjacobxx Dec 6 '21
Really great  to see this!!!
MistressSugarbritches VIP
There’s no problem with men who like to date transsexuals or transgender women.

The problem lies within the realms of the men who like to date transgender or transsexual women & want to keep this a secret. They have no intention of going out on dates with the women, they merely want to keep them as secret sex or love objects.  I’m not speaking for myself because I’m not attracted to masculine men nor do I choose to date any of them. I know other trans gurls who complain about the same stuff.  

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.